Coventry Welsh Rugby Football Club

everything rugby


Coventry Welsh club round up
In a see saw battle it was the Welsh who took the points but the result was in the balance right to the end. The home side started confidently but Harbury took the lead when they intercepted an inside pass by the Welsh backs to score in the corner. The Welsh responded with a fine try to Kyle Howard after some good work from the forwards. Liam Horan converted. From a break down in their own half Harbury managed to steal the ball and their quick backs outstripped the Welsh cover to score a good try which was converted. The second half started well for the Welsh as their pack gradually took control in the set pieces and, after some great defence from Harbury, they finally crossed the line with Mike Willis in at the corner and Matt Carrier from close range. The latter converted by Liam Horan who then added a penalty. Harbury refused to buckle and scored another try to reduce the deficit. As time edged away Harbury ran everything and were rewarded with a converted try to take a 24-22 lead. The Welsh came back yet again and the pressure their forwards put an Harbury eventually led to a penalty. Liam Horan held his nerve to slot the ball over for a well earned win.

Old Leamingtonians 3rds 0
Coventry Welsh 2nds 27

A powerful first half performance by the Welsh pack laid the platform for a fine victory in this pool fixture. The opening try came from the first of many turnover scrums, with a pickup from number eight Dave Ellis who side stepped past the full back to open the scoring, with Chris Kakrasch adding the extras. A well worked move by the Welsh backs, combined with a strong finish from Harry Brew kept the scoreboard ticking over for Welsh. Further turnover scrums, combined with some confident running by scrum half Chris Kakrasch and centre Andrew Rowlands added tries to the Welsh's tally to make it 22-0 at half time. The second half required a much more workmanlike performance from Welsh as Old Leams dominated with a sustained attacking period for the first 15 minutes of the half. Strong defensive play, notably from Russell Hughes, combined with a number of penalties for Old Leams persistently coming offside finally prised Welsh out of their half. Welsh regrouped and produced a well worked try for winger Phil Molloy. OL's never say die attitude led to a final flurry of attack in the dying minutes of the game, Welsh, resolute to the end, denied them as the full time whistle blew.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us
© Copyright 2008 Coventry Welsh Rugby Football Club. All Rights Reserved.